Hire a Public Adjuster at the Right Time
Like any situation, it’s always best to get professionals involved as early in the process as possible. But professional help does come with a cost and many policyholders make the decision to handle their claim themselves. Some are successful, but many become bogged down in the process and are never really sure they received the proper settlement amount. With insurance claims, a policyholder should beware they do not agree to or sign anything presented to them by their insurance carrier that they are not totally comfortable with.
Consider turning to a public insurance adjuster when one or more of the following conditions exist:
• You don’t have the time to deal with the demands of the insurance company. People already have full lives. They work and have family commitments and may not want to deal with the stress of trying to get a claim processed and paid.
• You don’t understand your policy. Insurance contracts can and will contain confusing documents and language leaving individuals unsure of their coverage. Turn to a licensed public adjuster like Alan Jacoby for help.
• You don’t have the expertise. Filing an insurance claim (especially with extensive and complicated damages) can be daunting. Get help if you are confused and avoid mistakes that might affect your settlement.
• Your damage is extensive. Severe property damage creates a variety of complicated claim issues. Coverages that you are due under your policy and certain types of damages can often be missed. Certain expenses may also be placed in the wrong coverage categories. Identifying hidden structural damage, valuing your loss properly and accounting for possessions and valuables can impact the value and settlement of your claim.
• The insurance carrier is offering a quick payoff. Insurance company research shows that the quicker a policyholder gets paid-off the happier they are. Unfortunately, what appears to be great customer service can be sometimes be an attempt to get rid of a claim and get you to settle for less money due to the stress and desire to “get it over with.” Our only advice here is to take your time and make sure you are protected. You should not be rushed or forced to sign anything until you understand the true impact a claim can have.
• The insurance carrier appears to be delaying your claim. This often happens when major catastrophes create claims log-jams. In many cases we have seen insurance companies fly in adjusters from out of state who do not understand state law. In all states, insurance carriers are required to respond to you and process your claim in a specified time period. If you are getting the run-around, get help.
• The insurance carriers settlement offer appears to be inadequate based on your coverage. Unfortunately, insurance company adjusters and carriers do not always act in the best interest of their policyholders. They are in business to turn a profit and may value damages to your property differently than you. Or they may determine that you are not covered for some of the damage. Sometimes offers will not even approach the value of restoring the damaged property. This is where an expert like Alan Jacoby and his team who uses the same estimating software as the insurance carrier and understands insurance policy language will help.
• Your insurance claims adjuster is discouraging you from hiring a public insurance adjuster. Insurance claim representatives that are afraid to deal with a licensed professional may be a red flag. You should be the only one determining if hiring your own public adjuster makes sense and is worth the cost.
Most people that use an experienced public insurance adjuster such as Alan Jacoby will tell you the time saved, stress removed and peace of mind provided when working with an experienced public adjuster is well worth the fee.
CALL NOW FOR A FREE CONSULTATION ON YOUR PROPERTY LOSS!